What is a Transfer Station?
It is NOT a waste disposal facility - it is a facility where non-hazardous solid waste is unloaded from smaller trucks and reloaded into larger vehicles for transport to a disposal or recycling site.
Why are Transfer Stations needed?
• Consolidating solid waste, transfer stations offers more flexibility in waste handling and disposal;
• Lowers collection costs and hauling costs;
• Offers convenient drop-off;
• Reduces air pollution, fuel consumption, and road wear by consolidating trash into fewer vehicles; and
• Allows for separation of recyclables.
Benefits to the municipalities and residents:
• Transportation cost savings of their collection fleet;
• Environmental benefits including reduced air emissions,reduced fuel consumption, reduced carbon footprints;
• Local employment;
• Allows for screening of materials that are easily recyclable;
• More competitive residential waste collection fees;
• Local drop-off area for residents for oversize items; and
• Support to the community through sponsorship opportunities.
We currently have operating transfer stations in: